Since I’m not 9 months pregnant as originally planned, I’ve decided to embrace the Independence Day patriotic spirit and add some red white and blue around the house.
I’ve already posted about our American Flag Banner and the simple how-to-instructions. Now we’ve added some firework rockets to our Summer Gallery Wall!
I found this idea in last month’s (at least I think it was last month’s) edition of Parent’s Magazine. Theirs were more involved and would actually spill out confetti when you pull a string — which is way cool, but a bit above our pay grade around here. So, I simplified it a bit and we made hanging firework rockets.
The project is simple enough. Evangeline painted toilet paper rolls red, white and blue. She also painted circles I cut out of thin cardboard (I used a cereal box) red. The circle were about 3 inches in diameter — essentially a little bit bigger than the top of the toilet paper roll.
When the paint was all dry, I cut from one end of the circle up to the middle, then folded the edges over one another to make a cone shape. I then used a staple to hold it in place. And we set them aside. The original directions said to use glue to make the cones, but I didn’t think anything short of hot glue would hold it. Maybe I don’t have enough faith? Moving on.
We then added the tissue paper to the bottom of the toilet paper rolls. I cut strips out of red, blue and sparkly white tissue paper roughly 2 inches wide by 5-6 inches long. I just eyeballed what size would work. I placed a strip of double stick tape around the bottom and Evangeline stuck the tissue paper strips in place.
(Side Note: While this was just meant to be a fun craft, it turned into a “teaching moment” as I talked Evangeline through what patterns are. We stuck the tissue paper on in the same order: red, blue, white etc. Don’t know how well the idea sunk in, but there you go, teaching when they least expect it.)
The hardest part of this project, was attaching the cones to the rolls. The original directions said to use glue, but we made a hellova mess proving that doesn’t work. Again, maybe hot glue would have worked? Instead, I used more double stick tape. I stretched two pieces across the top of the tube, folding over the side, then stuck the cone on. Time will tell how well they hold. If I find a better way (or if you have a better suggestion) I’ll come back and let you know.
I punched two holes in the side of the tube and threaded fishing line through and tied it off to hang from the ceiling. The project took some time, but it was a lot of fun and they look neat hanging up!
These were our biggest projects. Other than these crafts, we stuck some flags along our side walk and tried to make stars in the front yard a la Pinterest, but they didn’t really work.
The idea is to make a large stencil in the shape of a star, then using a flour sifter, sift flour over the stencil, filling in the shape. You’re supposed to be left with a bright white star on your grass. We got close, but not really close enough. I don’t know if our grass was too tall or if our stencil was too small, but we called it quits after our yard was littered with flour piles.
But there you have it. The Carruths are trying to be patriotic. We hope to spend Friday eating with family, reading Paul Revere’s Ride and watching some real fireworks. Seems pretty American to me. And on that note, here’s a picture of Felicity “helping” make the rockets. Yes she’s wearing a leotard and yes she has paint on her face. That’s just how she rolls
Rolls…toilet paper rolls…that just happened.